Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fall fruit salad



I made this salad last night for a dinner party I went to. I wanted it to be kind of festive, and I have to admit I wasn't sure if I would like it... but it's actually pretty good, and since you don't put the vinegar all over the salad (just everything but the greens) it keeps pretty well in the fridge and doesn't wilt.

Fall Fruit Salad

Ingredients:

  • 1 Large Apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I didn't peel it-I used Granny Smith)
  • 1 Ripe Pear, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries (I used about a half cup)
  • 1/4 Cup Walnuts
  • 4 Ounces Firm Blue Cheese, crumbled (I used feta)
  • 1/2 Red Onion, sliced thin (I used a little less)
  • 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
  • Mixed greens-optional (I used baby spinach + red leaf lettuce)

Preparation:

Place the walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove, let cool, and roughly chop. In a large bowl, toss together all the ingredients. Serve plain or on a bed of mixed greens.

No comments: