Sunday, February 24, 2008

kristen's cacciatore


I believe I got this recipe from my mom (I don't know where she got it from), but I've changed it so much I think I can officially call it my own!

1 large can diced tomato (you can use italian style if you want)
1 large can pureed tomato
1 small can tomato paste
2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 large onion, cut in thin rings
1 green pepper, cut in thin strips
1 red pepper, cut in thin strips
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
dash red pepper flakes (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

Put skillet on medium-high heat and spray good with pam then add the onion and peppers; cook until tender-make sure you are stirring often so they don't burn (I know this by experience). Add all of the tomatoes, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper; stir until combined and the tomato paste has mixed in well, then add chicken. Simmer on low heat for at least 10 minutes. Serve over [brown] rice.

the chef's (that's me) notes:
This is one of those recipes that you can't really mess up-You can add more (or leave it out) chicken or more onion, etc. if you want to. I like to use fresh garlic and parsley, but tastes great if you don't have it on hand. It's a great recipe for grilled chicken leftovers as well! Most chicken cacciatore recipes call for mushrooms, but since I despise them I don't put any in, but if you like them-add a few!

Serves 4

1 comment:

kelly said...

i love recipes! can't wait to see what you post!