Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Key Lime Pie



Now I know this is not a reduced fat/calorie recipe, but I figured since it was a holiday it would be ok!

I got this recipe from a cookbook I have called "The Great American Cookbook" featuring recipes from all over the U.S. such as: southern fried chicken, oysters rockefeller, boston beans, mississippi mud pie, and my feature for today, key lime pie!

The other day when I was at the store I saw what I thought was Key Limes (they come in a bag of green netting) which was what inspired me to make this dessert today.....but when I went back I found they were not Key Limes, but organic limes instead. So I just used the ones I found, and it tastes great anyways!

Crumb Crust:
6 oz. graham crackers or gingersnap cookies
2 tbsp. super fine sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 tbsp. butter, melted

Filling:
1 3/4 cups canned sweetened condensed milk (about a can and a half)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
finely grated rind of 3 limes
4 large egg yolks

freshly whipped cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.

For crumb crust: put the graham crackers, sugar, and cinnamon into a food processor and process until fine crumbs form-do not overprocess to a powder. Add the melted butter and process again until moistened.

Tip the crumb mixture into the pie plate and press over the bottom and up the sides. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat the condensed milk, lime juice, lime rind, and egg yolks together until well blended.

Remove crumb crust from the oven, pour in the filling, and spread to the edges. Return to the oven for and additional 15 minutes or until the filling is set around the edges but still wobbly in the center. Let cool completely on a cooling rack, then cover and let chill for at least 2 hours. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

No comments: